Emerging Risk: Workplace and Community Active Violence
In today’s world of increasingly frequent violent situations, in both public and private environments, the civilized world has been forced to develop more sophisticated and advanced protective deterrents. Protests, riots, and terrorism have become more commonplace, particularly in the United States, where acts of violence include firearms and other weapons capable of physical harm. This new reality has changed the focus of our attention to many emerging target areas: public spaces, houses of worship, schools, restaurants, and nursing/hospital facilities, to name a few.
In the past, public venues, businesses open to the public and private companies have relied solely on standard General and Property Liability coverages, occasionally backed-up by Workers Comp. But, in today’s environment, these historically trusted strategies, are proving to be less than adequate. Today, perpetrators motivated by extremists, radical movements and other cult organizations, have caused the expansion of deadly threats in terms of both venue variety and frequency of occurrence. It is this expanding probability of threats to human life and physical property that created a climate requiring more comprehensive protection.
Unfortunately, mental illness, accessibility to weapons and political extremism are contributing to a growing threat affecting both work and public spaces. For many years, only large corporations with high-profile events and venues were equipped to better secure their need for expanded exposure coverage, while for the vast majority of mid-size businesses this level of coverage was beyond reach. Today, one American insurance group, Commonwealth Insurance Advantage, is teaming up with London Market partners to provide the broader marketplace with an innovative insurance program to both prepare for and interface with any active violent threats, including “active shooters”. The new insurance program, Active Threat Solutions, will be accepting applications in June of 2018 with early policies in force by the second half of 2018.
“Active Threat Solutions”
Active Threat Solutions (or A.T.S.) provides remote or on-site training, immediate hotline assistance at notification and additional, qualified personnel assistance when an incident occurs. This new insurance program is a third-party liability coverage for lawsuits, on-site disaster assistance, and counseling services, provided by industry leader and A.T.S. partner, Firestorm Solutions. A.T.S. is unique in today’s marketplace – providing essential coverage to small and mid-sized businesses or municipal operations.
Active Threat Solutions
Readiness for Today’s World
Policy Coverage Details
• Limits up to $100 million
• $10,000 deductible
• Claims-made and reported policy
• Physical Damage coverage follows the event
• No minimum deaths required to trigger coverage
• 24-hour crisis management to assist in an emergency
• Risk assessment evaluation and training (See endorsements below)
• #1 – Assessment Endorsement (Within 45 days of binding)
• #2 – Webinar Training (Within 45 days of binding)
• #3 – Crisis Management – Sublimit $250,000 each and every event/$1,000,000 aggregate
• #4 – Property Damage – Sublimit $500,000 each and every occurrence
• #5 – Counseling Services – Sublimit $250,000 each and every event/$1,000,000 aggregate
• #6 – Funeral Expenses – Sublimit $250,000 each and every event/$1,000,000 aggregate
Definition of Weapons*
• Road Vehicles
• Explosive Devices
• Medical Instruments (Syringes)
• Corrosive Substances
• Hand-Held Instruments (Capable of causing death or bodily injury)
• Senior Living, Nursing Homes, Hospitals
• Retail Operations
• Public Entertainment (Sporting Events, Concerts, Cinemas, Parades)
• Houses of Worship
Items needed to receive an indication – Name of Insured- Location address of each facility- # of employees for each risk- Type of risk (i.e what does the risk do; nursing home, school etc)- Effective Date- Limits requesting (1m, 3m, 5m)