Close this search box.

Home Insurance Improvement

In most standard policies, you will be covered for damage to your home and its contents as well as liability for accidents that occur on your property.

First, you should tell your insurance provider. Depending on the work taking place there might be different restrictions placed on your cover. Your insurance provider may say no changes are needed and be happy for you to proceed, but it’s worth checking to be sure.

You could also consider accidental damage insurance. It could protect you financially if something you do damages your building or contents. If your sofa was damaged, your TV fell off the wall or you accidentally put your foot through the ceiling, accidental damage is the cover you’d need to be able to make a claim.

If you’re planning to leave your property for more than 30 days while work is going on, again you need to tell your insurance provider. There may impose terms on your policy due to the unoccupied period.

Finally, legal cover can be a benefit if you have problems with a construction company completing the job. If the company was to go bust after failing to complete the work, legal cover could help you reclaim any money you’ve invested.